27.9.07

In Which I Increase Procrastination Via Productivity

Wellll........ I've been making some progress in some things, and making absolutely none in others, and trying very hard not to cast on right away 3 more projects before I at least finish a couple more. Let me Explain.
I've completed my swatch for the sweater. Mind you, I picked a completely random pattern off the net, which has nothing to do with my soon to be sweater. It was good practice though, and I think I've worked out a method of color knitting that works for me. It's still pretty awkward, but I'm quite impressed with the results -- its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (and I have a pretty good one) but if you hold it back and pointedly ignore the twisted stitches and all the ones with weird orientations, it looks like a something, and there really aren't any puckers in the fabric (honest!!) though in a couple places it was a little puffy, before I blocked it. Blocking helped a LOT. Even in the worsted weight wool, I got away with floats as long as six stitches without ill effect, and really as long as the fabric lies flat and there aren't any holes I'm happy. I am by no means a perfectionist. The swatch is a nice size, so I'm thinking about incorporating it into some future project. A patchwork purse or something. A blanket might be cool. Or really warm, as its wool. Squares are about all my ADD can handle blanket-wise, endless repetitive knitting has a tendency to get put away for long stretches. . .
If you can't tell, I'm really exited about learning two color knitting. As far as my pumpkin goes, I've got the knitting part done, while reading blogs on the computer. I haven't gotten around to felting it yet. I haven't even been able to do my laundry. :( The washing machine is a hot item in this house, since everyone does they're own laundry.
I got the second gift sock started, only to find out her shoe size is a 9. I wear a ( and it doesn't fit my foot, so I can't send her the socks. Bummer. Big time. But my knitting will not be in vain!! If socks are too small I can always always give them to my mom. She has small feet, and always welcomes socks with heels near her own, and not all the way up her ankle. The waving lace sock is languishing unfinished still. If anyone receives a pair of ankle socks from me please know its a total kop-out. Probably I tried to knit something nicer, longer, prettier, but either I got a Severe case of Second Sock Syndrome (waving lace socks for mom), or I got frustrated with the pattern (bellocq stockings for my sister, who insisted on knee highs), or I procrastinated, then didn't have enough time to knit a longer pair of socks (gift socks). Ankle socks are faster and I believe will probably be more often worn anyway.
At this point, I need to mail off the sock soon, so I'm going to kop-out even more and just buy her a nice pair. That takes the urgency off finishing this pair too (mom will have two half-pairs of socks for Xmas at this rate) so I can s tart on my sweater (I really really want to) and my comfy socks, the needles for which just arrived in the mail. They're the new ones from knitpicks, and they smell of paste. I hope the smell doesn't rub off on my sock. I'll have to block them with febreeze.

No comments: